Thursday, August 2, 2007

To-Hell-U-Ride

The Title pretty much sums it up. Telluride was the destination this past weekend for yet another Mountain States Cup Stop. Telluride was scheduled as a 2day event, with the Cross Country on Sat, and a Hill Climb on Sun. Who the hell thinks of this shit anyway, a "Hill Climb", doesn't the MSC people know I am not much of a climber!!! Sorry Chambers, I know this was right up your alley! Anyway, we rolled into T-ride on Friday, and right as we pulled into the campsite it started raining. The initial plan was to set up camp, go get our race plates, and get a preride in. Well, it kept raining, and raining, and raining, soooooooo needless to say, there was no preridin'. What the heck, just another XC race going in without knowing what to expect. It makes it all the more fun!!!! Anyway, the rain finally let up on Sat morning about 4:00am, and myself and the rest of the COMotion team was ready to dominate again! Course was extremely muddy to say the least, but made for some great racing. I went out with 2 other guys at the start and tried to hang on for dear life. Another typical mtn race course, straight up from the start, and I stayed on as long as I could. I felt pretty good, I finished my first lap, I saw Marcie (Felix's g-friend), and I was sitting in 2nd place, and she said I was only 10mins back. Are you f-ing kidding me, only 10 mins!!!! Thanks for the motivation Marcie (Just Kidding!!!), I knew I wasn't going to be gaining much of that back, the kid in the lead was a local kid, and knew the course like the back of his hand. I looked back after the first 2 climbs, and saw no one, so I just settled into a good rhythm, and finished the climb out. I ended up 2nd place by only 14mins!!!! I am glad it was so close. Anyway, Joanna had a great race as well, I caught her right on top the climb. She had to do one lap, and started 35 mins after me. I thought I would see her earlier, but she knocked the climb out. Anyway, COMotion had another great weekend, 3 or 4 1st places, and a handful of 2nds! We are still leading in the overall team standings, so 2 more races, and we should have the 5th straight title pretty much locked in!!! Joanna and I heading to Michigan this weekend for 10 days. We are leaving this afternoon, and driving straight through. Should be loads of fun, can't wait for scenic Nebraska and Iowa. I will get to do 2 bike races while I am back. The MI NORBA series has a race on Sun, and it is only 45 mins from Joanna's house, so I am going to go and race in the expert class against all those flatlanders and see how I can do. That will be the next post. Stay Tuned------ Here are some pics from T-Ride

Final Descent on my 1st lap:

Joanna on the Initial Climb out of the Start: Looks like she has her game face on!! Gees have a little fun would ya!!!!

Kalan (2nd Expert Men), Me, Felix (2nd sport men), Joanna ---Kalan is clean because he was just getting ready to start!

Joanna and I after the race, Not TOOOOO Muddy!!!!


Joanna must have scared everyone off at the awards ceremony.

Everyone showed up for my podium

1 comment:

MCB said...

Chris —

This is Matt from Telluride. It was good to meet you this past weekend, and I hope to race with you again sometime. Maybe next year, huh?

Best,

Matt

PS- it's a shame that course never gets ridden. I had no idea it was so good till the day before the race. Maybe I'll show you our best rides next year when we skip the miserable hill climb. or after. Best of luck!