Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Michigan Road Trip!

Well, it was the first week of August, and Joanna and I made our annual trip back to MI, to visit the families. Of course, there is always an ulterior motive, Joanna's was her cousins wedding, mine of course was the Ore 2 Shore Mtb Epic Race in Marquette, MI. More on that later. We headed out all packed up 4 bikes, 2 dogs, clothes, and random shit. We headed to Traverse City first, to see Joanna's fam, and go to the wedding. I have always said that if I were to ever move back to MI, it would be to Traverse City area, and this trip only solidified that even more. NO WERE NOT MOVING BACK!!!!!! Anyway, the weather was great, we did some serious fishing, some sailing, some tubing, and some water skiing.
Here is Joanna's dad with dinner!!!!!!!
Check out Joanna's Honker!!!! Let me tell you were going to be eating good!!!! Only 100 more, and we will have a feast!



Let me tell you, the dogs surely loved being at Joanna's parents house. They swam everyday. I would cast the bobber in the water, and they would jump in and chase it. I didn't catch any fish. but the dogs got a good workout. Oh-yeah, Jeff, they apologize for digging that hole in your yard. They told me they were REALLY sorry, and hope they can come back.






Always fun times on the lake. I will admit, I do miss the water living in CO..........No were still not moving back!! By the way this is going to be a really long blog, because I have a whole week of activities to tell you about, sit tight, grab some popcorn, and bear with me.

Then we made the trip up to the U.P. of Michigan to visit my parents house for a couple days, and see a couple buddies from H.S. Bo, I know you read this, good to see you, hope you didn't drink too much at the Nickle!!! Plan on T.C. for the Iceman race in November! By-the-way, your little boys are cute, too bad they look like you though. They are already starting with one strike against them..... Just Kidding!!!!!!


We then headed to Iron River, MI, where my aunt, uncle, and 4 cousins live. Once again, we took part in some water activities that wore everyone out.

Next, it was off to Marquette, MI. Home of Northern Michigan University, where Joanna and I went to school. We rolled in on Friday, and got to see some college friends that are still there. NO, NO, they are not still in school, they DID graduate, and are living and working there. We didn't screw around that much in college. Anyway, the Ore 2 Shore (http://www.oretoshore.com) was on Saturday, and there are 2500 riders, and it is the largest mass start race in the country. (I think?). Anyway, there are a ton of people that do it, there is the 28mile race and 48 mile race. Joanna did the 28 miler, and I did the 48 miler.
Here is the Start of the Hardrock 48 miler- Trust me I am in there somewhere representing COMotion!!!!

The Ore 2 Shore is epic, because it is a 48 mile point to point race. It starts in an old mining town in the UP of Michigan called Negaunee. Negaunee is the home of Iron Ore mining, hence the Ore part of the race. It then traverses through power line trails, a little singletrack, huge forests, and oh-yeah, a shit ton of SAND!!! Did I mention yet, that I really hate riding in sand. Well the UP of Michigan is having an abnormally dry summer, so needless to say the sand was WAY worse than years past. It was like riding on a beach for most of the race. Sand was over the rims on your bike in a lot of parts. So any advantage I had going into the race from living in CO, was quickly evened out when we hit the beach! The race continues on and ends on the shores of Lake Superior. Absolutely beautiful, but NO I am still not moving home. Here is a before and after shot. Some people race this with surgical masks on, because of the iron ore dust.

Before..................



And After............

There was no mud on the course, this is all from the dust and sand. I am still pulling crap out of my ears and eyes. Well, as much as I was in the pain cave during the race, I didn't want it to end, because I knew as soon as it did, we had to immediately pack up and hit the road driving back to CO. I didn't even find out results until I got home Sunday night. Too bad too, because there would of been some COMotion Podium shots!!! I ended up 3rd in my age class, and 72nd overall. Not to bad considering all the racers, and the 100 preferred starts given. Joanna ended up 10th in her age class, another great race for her.

Overall, a great summer vacation, thanks to all our fams for putting us up, and putting up with us and the dogs. It was good to see everyone, we'll be back next summer. I am not sure yet if we are going to drive though. We ended up with 3552miles in 9 days. We are still trying to recover and get caught up with out sleep, and I have come down with a cold to boot. Off to Eldora Mtn, this weekend for another stop on the Mountain States Cup race series. 2 more to go! I will post those highlights or lowlights next week. Thanks again to everyone!!!!! Here are a couple more random pics to enjoy..

Joanna's Fam

The Dogs first pontoon boat ride

No comments: